Online Short Circuit
Sponsored by The Student Innovation Center, Ivy College of Business, College of Design, and College of Agricultural and Life Sciences
Let’s Make a Deal with the Deans
Session 1: Learn to Deal
5:30 to 7 p.m. on Monday, February 8
Session 2: Negotiate a Deal with the Deans
5:30 to 7 p.m. on Monday, February 15
Dean David Spalding
The Wall Street Wonder
Dean Daniel Robison
Claiming New Frontiers
Dean Luis Rico-Gutierrez
Our University Futurist
Pitch your idea to improve the student experience at Iowa State University — You could win $100-$500!
*You do not need to compete to attend the sessions.
Convince at least one dean to accept your proposal to make a tangible change to some aspect of the student experience at Iowa State. Convince all three deans, win the whole pot.
NOTE: Further instructions will be provided at the February 8 session.
The Art of Negotiation
The deans will answer questions and share lessons from their tenure as key institutional decision-makers and negotiators in situations that influence thousands of people and millions of dollars.
- How do great dealmakers position themselves and others to secure success, and to win and close the deal?
- What personal qualities and professional practices create trust and credibility in negotiations?
- How do you behave and lead when negotiations fail, when deals fall apart, or when you make a mistake that causes a shutdown?
- What strategies do leaders employ when they meet with resistance?
- What courses should students take, what books should they read, and what practices would give them experience in negotiation?
- What about money — salary, compensation, fees, internships, and terms? How do you influence what, where, with whom, and for how much you work?
What is an innovation short circuit?
Innovation SHORT CIRCUITS, delivered by industry experts and influencers, are topic-based conversation sessions that help students
gain expertise in innovation mindset, skills and practices.